Sunday, May 15, 2011

Aromatic Thai Steamed Fish



I’ve not gone Thai crazy, but I’m also not one to let food go to waste either. I have great fresh ingredients leftover from making my Thai turkey balls and the Thai green curry, so it makes sense to make the most of them. I’m thinking something low in fat, so I picked up some fresh cod from the fish monger, and as I’m watching the calories again for another few days, I don’t want something heavy and saucy. So I’ve decided to steam the fish Thai style and serve it with steamed vegetables and new baby potatoes. Though this would be perfected if serve with some steamed jasmine rice, or some rice noodles.

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 2 fillets of white fish (Pollack, cod, sea bass, coley etc)
  • 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
  • 1 lemongrass , finely sliced
  • 1 red chilli, finely sliced
  • 1 thumb-size piece of ginger, finely sliced
  • Zest and juice of a lime
  • 1 tsbp of light soy sauce
  • Chopped fresh coriander

Method

(This method is for those of us who don’t have electric or bamboo steamers [wish list])

  1. Put a pan of water on the boil and bring it to a simmer
  2. Place a heat proof plate over the pan of water and line with tin foil
  3. Place the cod on the plate, sprinkle with the aromatics, lime juice and soy sauce
  4. If you have room, place the vegetables beside the fish
  5. Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes ( this depends on the thickness of the fish, so judge accordingly)
  6. Scatter with the coriander and serve with vegetables and potatoes/rice/noodles

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...