Friday, June 24, 2011

Steak, Argentina Style Baby!


The best steaks I’ve ever eaten have been in Argentina, there simply is no comparison out there, they are A-Maz-ing! Whilst in Argentina last November I think I had 2 non steak evening meals, and both times, after seeing the waiter arrive with yet another steak to Alan, I was jealous that I hadn’t ordered it myself. A steak knife is not a prerequisite simply because the meat is so tender, the fork simply glides through the meat effortlessly.
Everyone has a preference for steak, be it the cut, or the marinade, the method of cooking, or most importantly of all, how well they like their steak cooked. As far as I’m concerned, if the steak is well done, then it’s ruined. It hard, leathery and all the moisture is drained from it. Now that may be a tad dramatic of me, but after sampling steak the best way it can be eaten, I could never go back to well done, overcooked meat.
One of the ways of enhancing the flavours of steaks in South Amercia are by using the juices from an orange and a lemon. The acidic juices break done the fibres of the meat, which is what makes the steaks so tender.
So this recipe is my take on a South Amercian Steak, and my version of a chimi churi salsa.

For 2 steaks

Ingredients

  • 2 steaks, I’m using fillet.
  • Juice of 1 orange
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 6-7 black peppercorns, crushed in a pestle and mortar
  • 1 finely chopped deseeded red chilli
  • 1 tbsp of chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

Method

    1. Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well.
    2. Pour over your steaks in a shallow serving dish
    3. Allow to marinade for several hours if possible
    4. Grilled the steaks on a medium heat, cook to your liking


Chimi Churi Salsa



Ingredients


1 garlic clove crushed
2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
Sea Salt
Juice of 1 lime
Chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp of olive oil
½ a deseeded red chilli, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped.

Method

Combine all ingredients and mix well to combine.


2 comments:

Alchemy In The Kitchen said...

Hi Serena, tasty dish as usual. (I think you are missing out on comments because there is something wrong with the post comment button. I've tried to comment on your last two dishes but it kept going in circles and failed to pick up my google ID - looks like it might work this time - just thought you'd like to know.)

Serenacronin said...

Thanks a mill Hester, I didn't realize, I've changed a setting now, so maybe that'll help. You're so good for letting me know. I'm still feeling my way around Blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...