Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Breakfast for Supper - Baked Tomatoes & Eggs


Have you ever wanted breakfast for supper?!! Sometimes only breakfast will do!!

It doesn't happen that often for me.....maybe Pancake Tuesday and real lazy cook days!!! Well today is one of those days, where I was on the go all day and worked a little later than normal. All I could think about on the drive home from work was baked eggs, and I could barely get in the door fast enough to preheat the oven. My friend Fiona, whom I lived with a few years back introduced me to Baked Tomatoes and Eggs. It didn't sound all that appetizing for me, until one day I saw her cook it and the smell of the slow baked tomatoes was divine.Thanks Fi!

 So now I cook it at weekends, when I have time to cook a slow breakfast; or for a sneaky breakfast supper after work. As always this dish is extremely low in fat, the only indulgent item would be the crusty roll which should accompany the dish. I am however, as always, swaying towards the side of low fat, so I'm using a slice of low-carb brown toast cut into soldiers for dipping, and a crisp green salad.



That's just me though. For a treat, go for the crusty roll. Especially for the first-time wow factor, with a large mug of coffee.

This dish certainly isn't rocket science, and some of you will probably wonder 'can you even call this a recipe?!'....... But sometimes the simplest dishes are the most delicious and comforting. And as I said earlier, sometimes only breakfast will do!!!!

Serves 1

Ingredients

  • 1 crusty roll/or slice of bread toasted
  • 2 large free range eggs
  • 3 organic tomatoes
  • 2 sprigs of thyme leaves
  • Sea salt & pepper
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
  • 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley (optional)


Method
  1. In a small shallow-ish dish, halve 2 tomatoes and quarter one tomatoes. Make sure you use a dish so they fit snugly.
  2. Sprinkle over thyme, salt and pepper, and oil.
  3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 45 minutes.
  4. Take the dish out of the oven, make two gaps and crack in two eggs gently.
  5. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes (soft eggs), or until the eggs are set to your liking.
  6. As a optional extra, sprinkle with flat leaf parsley.But as an absolute must, serve with crusty bread, or toasted soldiers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...