Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Tickled Pink Beetroot Hummus



I’m a huge fan of hummus, and it’s simply fantastic that it’s actually a really healthy snack also. It’s origins are Middle Eastern, however there are over the years lots of fusion recipes for hummus, using Spanish or Italian influences. The main ingredient in hummus is off course chickpeas, which are extremely low in fat and very high in protein.



 Once you have your chickpeas, every other ingredient is replaceable. I’ve been experimenting with different hummus styles for quite some time and I recently came across a picture of beetroot hummus in a food magazine. It was quite frankly the pinkest, prettiest food I had ever seen, and I simply had to try it, being such a girly girl afterall.

This is a cheats version, where the chickpeas come from a can, not soaked overnight and the beetroot is the pre cooked vac-pack variety.  But before I am judged for my short cuts, you gotta try it. Its mind blowingly good! It’s made in less than 5 minutes, and keeps well for 2-3 days covered and refrigerate it. It goes well with chicken and lamb.

So here it is, my Tickled Pink Hummus.

Ingredients

·         1  large can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
·          2 vac-packed cooked beetroots
·         1 tsp tahini (optional)
·         1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated
·         Zest & juice of one lemon
·         1 tbsp of ground cumin
·         1 tbsp of olive oil
·         2-3 fresh mint leaves



Method

1.       Simply add all the ingredients to a mini blender/food processor and blitz to a puree.
2.       Add the salt and pepper and blitz again. Taste and if required add a little extra of any of the ingredients.

Simply serve with pitta breads, as an accompaniment to a salad.....or my favourite way to eat hummus........ with vegetable crudités!!! Now it would be hard to get lower fat than that!



Oh and guys, for those of who haven’t voted for me in the Chef Factor competition, please use the link below to lend me your support. And it would be great if you would ask your Facebook friends to vote for me too.... Thanks x


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...