I recently teamed the relish with spiced quail and cous cous and it was a marriage made in heaven.
The relish can be made, and jarred and kept for up to a week in the fridge in a sterilized jar. I've made a batch and put them into Kilner jars and wrapped the jars as gifts for my mom and mom-in-law. I just love to make homemade gifts, it really adds a special touch I think.
To sterilize the jars, I just put them in the dishwasher on a high heat.
- 200ml of orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 200g of soft brown sugar
- 500g of fresh cranberries
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 150g of raisins
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 100g of chopped walnuts
- Salt & pepper
- Pour the orange juice and the sugar into a saucepan
- Stir to dissolve the sugar
- Put on a low heat and add the cranberries.
- Cook for 10 minutes or so, until the majority of cranberries have popped. Don't worry if it looks too watery at this stage, the mixture thickens very quickly.
- Add the raisins, salt, pepper, cinnamon and ginger.
- Stir to combine and cook for a further minute.
- The add the walnuts, cook for a final minute before removing from the heat.
- Pour into your sterilized jars and seal.
- Use within a week of making.