Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Full Irish Pasta Bake


The Full Irish Pasta Bake..... I know it sounds wierd but I'm never one to waste food, and this is surprisingly delightful and comforting. The other day I'd  a full house, so I threw down a few sausages, rashers and pudding couple of minutes before hand in anticipation that I'll have a few Full Irish takers. Often guests just opt for bacon and eggs, or my Irish Pancakes, which was the case this time. This left me with a few cooked breakfast leftovers. I hate to throw food away, hate hate it. So I decided to cool the leftover sausages, rashers and pudding and use in a pasta bake for the evenings supper for my husband. This is not a low fat dinner, so I won't pretend it is, but it certainly hits the comfort spot in the belly, and the men in your life will go crazy for this carb meat feast!!!!


Serves 2 (or 1 hungry man)

Ingredients
  • 2 cooked sausages (cut into slices)
  • 3 cooked rashers (cut into strips)
  • 4 pieces of black and white pudding (cut into pieces)
  • 100g of penne pasta
  • 1 tin of cherry tomatoes
  • Half a diced onion
  • Half a diced clove of garlic
  • 1 tsp of chilli flakes
  • Salt/pepper
  • 1 tsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of dried oregano
  • 2 tbsp of red wine
  • 3 tbsp of cream
  • 1 tsp of oil

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
  2. Cook pasta in boiling water for 10 minutes
  3. Cook the onion and garlic in a little oil until translucent
  4. Add the tomatoes, sugar, oregano and cook down for a few minutes
  5. Add the chilli flakes and season.
  6. Add the red wine and cook for a further 5 minutes
  7. Add some of the cooking water from the pasta, stir and continue to cook
  8. Add the chopped meat and the cream and stir well.
  9. Transfer to a roasting dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes
Feel free to add some mozzarella to the pasta before baking, I didn't as my husband isn't fond of cheese, but It would be scrummy. 

Or 6 minutes before the bake is finished make a little hole in the bake and gently break in an egg and return to the oven until the egg has just set.

This is a little on the sinful side so be mindful that perhaps a salad the following evening might make up for it. Why are wicked things the most pleasing!!!!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...