If I'm ever stuck for a sweet baked treat in the morning for my guests and time is not on my side, these apple pastry swirls are a life saver!!!! Made with minimum effort but allowing for maximum taste they are a winner every time, and can be made even in the most stressful of kitchens.
This is another example how utterly versatile ready rolled puff pastry is..... helping us create the perfect breakfast treat. Guests have been really impressed with these bite size pieces of pleasure, and its almost shameful to admit how easy they are, and that they didn't take me hours of slaving in the kitchen.....opps...my secret's out!
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry (room temperature)
- 1 cooking apple
- 2-3 tbsp of apricot conserve
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of buttermilk (or beaten egg)
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Allow your puff pastry to come to room temperature. (If you try to roll it straight from the fridge, it will crack)
- Unroll the sheet of pastry.
- Place the apricot conserve in a dish and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Brush the entire surface of the pastry with the melted conserve.
- Grate the cooking apple over the conserve and redistribute to ensure an even spread
- Scatter with the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- From the longest side, roll the pastry as if your rolling a swiss roll.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Brush with the buttermilk and spread out on the baking tray as they tend to double in size.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when they are golden and bubbling and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled sieve icing sugar over each swirl.
These are not only a breakfast treat, but also can be turned into a delicious dessert after a traditional Sunday roast. Simply make the swirls larger and serve with some creamy custard.