Here’s a very quick and simple Thai Red Chilli & Roast Tomato Marinade, spiced with ginger, garlic and lemongrass for an Asian inspired meal.
All the ingredients are fat free so you’ve already got the brownie points ahead of the store-bought marinade sauces, but also you can’t beat a freshly made marinade in the taste department also. There is no comparison, simple as!
I chose a healthy piece of salmon to use the marinade on, but it would be just as delicious on chicken or pork. I served this with brown rice to create a well-balanced low fat nutritious meal.
· 2 pieces of salmon fillets
· 1 large red chilli, diced
· 1 piece of lemongrass, chopped finely
· 2 cloves of garlic, grated
· 1 white onion, finely diced
· 1 thumb size piece of ginger, grated
· A handful of chopped coriander
· 1 tsp of fish sauce
· 1 tbsp of soy sauce
· 1 tsp of tomato paste/puree
· 2 oven roasted tomatoes*
· Pinch of sugar
· Juice of a lime
· Brown rice to serve, lime and chopped coriander.
1. Combine all the ingredients, except the salmon and rice, in a mini food blender and whizz to a smooth paste.
2. Pour into a shallow dish and place the salmon in the marinade.
3. Let to infuse for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
5. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile get your rice on according to packet instructions.
7. To serve, place the rice on a plate, place the salmon on the rice in the centre and pour the cooked marinade and juices.
8. Scatter with a little coriander and serve with a lime wedge.
*Cut the tomatoes in half and roast in oven at 150 degrees for 20-30 minutes. This can be done in advance.
This marinade is so diverse. For Thai inspired roast chicken, add some honey to the marinade, and rub all over the whole chicken. Stick a few unpeeled cloves of garlic and a stick of fresh lemon grass in the cavity of the chicken for extra flavour. Roast in a really low oven (160 degrees) for 2 hours, turning upside down half way through. Serve with egg noodles. It’s AWESOME!!!