Thursday, June 6, 2013

Quick Rustic Basil & Almond Pesto


I promised my husband some pesto pasta this evening for dinner, and it was only at the last minute I realised my pesto jar was finished. I have no Parmesan nor pine nuts; but I do have great whole almonds and a particularly awesome bottle of olive oil from olive farmers we stayed with in Sicily in October.


The olive oil is from the groves of a Bed and Breakfast we stayed at in Ciuci's Manor near Agrigento in Sicily. If you are ever going to Sicily then a stay in this B&B should be top of the list. Fabulous hosts in such amazing surroundings, and the breakfast was outstanding. http://www.ciucismanor.it/php/home_ing.php



 So figure I would make an almond & basil pesto instead, very rustic. This is not an authentic pesto recipe, but by using fantastic high quality ingredients, the result is a pesto bursting with flavour. (in particular by using the best oil you can get your hands on)




Ingredients

  • 2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves
  • 100g of toasted whole almonds (dry fry in a pan for a few minutes, and cooled)
  • 1 garlic clove, grated
  • Salt and pepper
  • 150mls olive oil.

Method

  1. In a food processor, add all the ingredients and pulse, adding a little oil at a time. ( I try not to over-process the pesto, as I like a little bit of texture and this is what gives it a wonderful rustic feel.


Serving Suggestion

Mix a few spoons of pesto through cooked pasta and garnish with extra basil leaves (torn).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...