Monday, August 19, 2013

Egg & Dairy Free Chocolate Cake


Because life's too short to be unable to enjoy cake!!!

When I had a guest at the B&B recently who told me that she had an allergy to eggs and dairy, I really wanted make something for her that she could enjoy. I had blueberry muffins and brown bread for other guests and I wanted my guest with the allergies to have the same sort of choice for breakfast as everyone else and not just have to be content with muesli soaked with orange juice.
Challenge!!! I told her for the next morning I would have a suitable breakfast choice for her. She told me that she likes coconut milk and almond milk and often substitute recipes with milk for these products.
I decided that banana pancakes would be possible using almond milk and a chocolate cake could possibly work well with coconut milk!!! Both were very sucessful. Here's the recipe I used for the chocolate cake. I must say every guest was enjoying them so much, I had to hide some back for the guest that they were intended for.

Ingredients
  • 170g of self raising flour
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
  • 230ml of coconut milk
  • 6 tbsp of sunflower oil
  • icing sugar to decorate.

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Grease an 8 inch cake tin with 1 tbsp of sunflower oil.
  3. Sift the flour, sugar and cocoa powder together.
  4. Mix the coconut milk and the sunflower oil together.
  5. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
  6. Spoon into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
  7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin on a wire rack.
  8. Turn out the cake onto the rack then turnover onto a serving plate.
  9. Cut into equal slices and dust with icing sugar.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...