Nasi goreng reminds me of my time spent travelling Bali/Lombok in Indonesia. I had nasi goreng every single day for brunch. It normally came served with a yellow prawn cracker the size of the plate. Such simple ingredients, but the dish is full of flavour and packs a punch. Lots of ingredients are required, but the vast majority of them are in the back of the store cupboard. This is the Indonesian version of Chinese takeaway special fried rice, but way healthier and infinity tastier!
- 1 thumb-size piece of peeled and chopped ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised and chopped
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp of Heinz Ketchup
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp of peanut oil
- 2 tbsp of roast peanuts
- 2 breasts of Moy Park Chicken, sliced into thin strips
- 200g of raw king prawns
- 250g of cooked and cooled basmatic rice
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tbsp of roast peanuts
- 3 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 4 eggs
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 'half moons'
Prawn Crackers, sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce.
- Firstly make the paste, put all the paste ingredients into a mini blender and whizz until it comes together as a smooth paste.
- In a wok, add two thirds of the paste and fry it off for a few minutes. Add the chicken and stir fry until cooked through, in the last 2 minutes add the prawns and continue to stir fry until the prawn have turned a lovely coral pink.
- Remove the chicken and prawns from the wok and set aside.
- Add the remaining paste and fry it in the wok with the shallots and garlic.
- Add the rice and stir fry it for a few minutes.
- Return the chicken and prawns to the rice and stir to combine.
- Get a frying pan on heat and fry 4 eggs (soft yolk)
- Add the cucumber, coriander, peanuts and spring onions to the fried rice.
- To plate up, divide the mixture between 4 plates and top each rice mixture with the softly fried egg.
- Serve with prawn crackers and sweet chilli sauce drizzled over the egg.