These are real simple kick ass recipe for an alternative to mince pies, but still has the Christmasy vibe. They can be whipped up in a flash and can be frozen before baking in a tray or frozen once baked and cooled, making them a lifesaver when unexpected guests descend.
- 1 sheet shortcut pastry
- 100g fresh cranberries
- 2 eating apples, peeled and diced
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, and grease a muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the cranberries, sugar, apple, and coconut
- Roll out the shortcut pastry, and cut out 12 circles. Roll up the off cuts and roll out thinly again. This should give you 12 stars
- Place each circle of pastry into the muffin holes and fill each hole with the cranberry and apple filling.
- Top with a star and brush with some beaten egg. Finally sprinkle each star with a little sugar and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When the pies are cooked, remove from the oven and place the tray on a wire rack. Immediately, gently go around the outsides of each pie to loosen from the edges. Then wait 10 minutes before removing from the tray and cool completely on the rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.